Munster A 28-7 Cardiff Blues A

Posted by

Cardiff Blues A suffered another tough defeat in the Celtic Cup as they fell to Munster A in the last away game of the tournament.

Gethin Jenkins and T Rhys Thomas had been able to welcome back Ben Murphy, Alun Lawrence and Ioan Davies from first team action for the trip to a windy Cork, and they led the team defensively early on.

Along with other senior players Ethan Lewis and captain Macauley Cook, as well as Tim Grey, they led an early defensive effort that frustrated Munster as they camped on our try line, being turned over at the maul and held up over the line.

The pressure eventually told though and winger Louis Bruce went over in the corner, before centre Jack Delaney scored a second in quick succession, with Ben Healy converting both.

However, the away side got back into the game right away as their first attack resulted in a try. Daf Smith made good ground before Jack Male, the Glamorgan Wanderers centre, cut through to go over the line, with Rhys Davies adding the conversion.

There was almost a second Cardiff Blues try moments later as Mason Grady sprinted down the wing after a Ioan Davies attack, but he was adjudged to have stepped into touch prior to the act of scoring.

The to add insult to injury Munster capitalised on a deliberate Alex Varney knock-on to kick to the corner and go over from close range, before Ethan Lloyd was yellow carded for an illegal tackle.

Cardiff Blues had one more chance to score before half-time despite being down to 14, but a strong driving maul was stopped just short and the score showed 21-7 at the break.

James Botham was at the centre of the action over the break, first covering a dangerous Munster chip kick before breaking away on turnover ball, however Ioan Davies’ kick in behind was just too long.

After that the tide turned against Cardiff Blues again, as Munster scored a breakaway try before replacement scrum-half Zach Bartlett was shown yellow, and the game finished 28-7.

A much more encouraging performance from the young side after a disappointing showing in Bridgend the previous week, but still lacking the ability to get enough points on the board to be competitive.

There are now just two weeks left of the competition as they welcome Connacht Eagles to the Arms Park next Saturday at 2.30pm, before Scarlets A are the visitors the following Friday.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s